Re: New nnimap user having problems

Bryan Ischo <bischo@plumbdesign.com> writes:

>        *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/vfr
>
> Trying to select anything from the first set of folders gives the
> usual "Can't request group INBOX: Group INBOX selected" error; trying
> to select anything from the nnimap+mail.ischo.com folders gives:
>
> Dead non-native groups can't be entered
>
> until I do a subscribe on those groups, then I get:
>
> Can't select group
>
> when I try to select them.

Can you tell by the imap log if this server is also generating large
UIDs?  If you know it's the same type of server, it's probably the
same problem as with your main server.

> > INBOX is a group like all other groups.  No?  (Depending on the server
> > software, it might be the file /var/spool/mail/jrl.)
>
> I guess that I expect that INBOX, which represents where new mail is
> delivered (it's actually a folder ~/Maildir on my system), would be
> named something a little nicer by the nnimap client.

The mailbox is named INBOX by the server, nnimap only reflect this and
other IMAP clients probably do the same.  I think it would be quite
confusing if nnimap started renaming groups to nicer names.

(The ~/Maildir also indicate that you are using maildirs, so nnmaildir
might indeed be a more useful solution, given how large integers work
in Emacs Lisp.)