Re: New nnimap user having problems

Bryan Ischo <bischo@plumbdesign.com> writes:

> I installed GNUS 5.8.7 and nnimap 0.131.

Nnimap 0.131 is old.  This is noted on the nnimap page, but perhaps
isn't clear enough.  I've updated the pages so it should be clear.

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> 	  (nnimap "mail.ischo.com"
> 	     (nnimap-address "mail.ischo.com")))

This variable contain a list of methods, ie

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
	  '((nnimap "mail.ischo.com"
	     (nnimap-address "mail.ischo.com"))))
          ^^

> * I get a two newsgroups listed in the GNUS *Group* buffer:
>
>        9: nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help
>        *: nndraft:drafts
> * I don't want to read these (where are my mail server groups?!?!)
>   so I unsubscribe them

Nnimap groups aren't displayed automatically.  If you have
server-subscribed IMAP groups, you should be able to see them by doing
`F', I think.

> Well aside from the fact that my email folder directory (INBOX) is
> listed as well as the folder names, I can handle this.  Except -
> mail.ischo.com, my secondary server, was never even consulted.

This would be because of the typo above.

> * 1 FETCH (UID 958507693)
> * 53 FETCH (UID 963944788)

This explains the other problems you have -- both theese numbers are
larger than 2^28 which is the largest integer Emacs can handle.  So
nnimap can't tell Gnus about the articles in your mailboxes because
the Gnus<->nnimap interface uses Emacs integers.

This is difficul to solve and it doesn't look like it's going to
happen soon.

If you're using a Courier IMAP server, you might want to check out the
upcoming nnmaildir as a alternative.

Sorry.