Re: New nnimap user having problems

Simon Josefsson wrote:
[...]
> > * 1 FETCH (UID 958507693)
> > * 53 FETCH (UID 963944788)
>
> This explains the other problems you have -- both theese numbers are
> larger than 2^28 which is the largest integer Emacs can handle.  So
> nnimap can't tell Gnus about the articles in your mailboxes because
> the Gnus<->nnimap interface uses Emacs integers.
>
> This is difficul to solve and it doesn't look like it's going to
> happen soon.
>
> If you're using a Courier IMAP server, you might want to check out the
> upcoming nnmaildir as a alternative.

Actually I was in the process yesterday of trying to install courier
IMAP on a test machine to see if it would work any better with nnimap,
suspecting that our IMAP server might be the problem (it has caused
problems with some other clients, namely Outlook).  But there was
a bug in Courier IMAP which caused the build to fail, and after some
emails with the author of Courier IMAP, I am hoping to be able to
download a fixed version of that today, to try with nnimap.

This might be a very naive suggestion, because I have never looked at
the code of nnimap, but perhaps nnimap can get around emacs 28-bit
limitation by representing UIDs as two numbers instead of one?

I know very little about E-lisp (but have always wanted to learn!),
maybe I will take a naive (and probably futile) stab at it ...

I will also give Courier IMAP a try and see if it helps.  I will
report my success/failure to this group.

Thank you!
Bryan

        p l u m b d e s i g n

        Bryan Ischo | Software Developer