Re: New nnimap user having problems

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Bryan Ischo wrote:

> I installed GNUS 5.8.7 and nnimap 0.131.

A good version of nnimap comes with Gnus -- you don't need to install
an extra version of nnimap.

> (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mail.plumbdesign.com"
> (nnimap-address "mail.plumbdesign.com")))
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> 	  (nnimap "mail.ischo.com"
> 	     (nnimap-address "mail.ischo.com")))

gnus-secondary-select-methods is a list of select methods -- one level
of parens is missing.  Also, you forgot the quote.  Try this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnimap "mail.ischo.com"
         (nnimap-address "mail.ischo.com"))))

> * I get a two newsgroups listed in the GNUS *Group* buffer:
>
>        9: nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help
>        *: nndraft:drafts
> * I don't want to read these (where are my mail server groups?!?!)
>   so I unsubscribe them

You might wish to have a cursory glance at the help group -- it might
contain useful information.  Tutorial-type information.

And the drafts group is where messages are auto-saved.  Ie, if your
Emacs ever crashes, you might be able to find a half-composed message
there.

(Maybe you need to do M-x recover-session RET first, but that's needed
for all other files, as well.)

> Well aside from the fact that my email folder directory (INBOX) is
> listed as well as the folder names, I can handle this.

INBOX is a group like all other groups.  No?  (Depending on the server
software, it might be the file /var/spool/mail/jrl.)

> Except - mail.ischo.com, my secondary server, was never even
> consulted.

See above.

> And, why is the nndoc thing showing up again?  I unsubscribed it!

Well, maybe Gnus is telling you that you should read it...

> Oh well, I can chalk all this up to my inexperience with GNUS.
>
> * OK, so I want to read my new mail.  I go to the INBOX line and hit
>   the space bar.  Here is what I get:
>
>     Couldn't request group INBOX: Group INBIX selected
>
>   Where is my list of messages for my INBOX?!?!

Hm, strange.  Maybe people haven't tried to use nnimap as the primary
select method?

Can you set debug-on-error to t and post the backtrace?

> So what am I doing wrong?  Here are the contents of my *imap-log*:
>
> * OK latitude.plumbdesign.com IMAP4rev1 v12.250 server ready

I vaguely recall problems with IMAP4rev1 which have been fixed
recently.  Maybe the nnimap that comes with Gnus 5.8.7 is better than
nnimap-1.131?

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.