Re: New nnimap user having problems

Kai,

Thank you very much for your response!

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Bryan Ischo wrote:
>
> > I installed GNUS 5.8.7 and nnimap 0.131.
>
> A good version of nnimap comes with Gnus -- you don't need to install
> an extra version of nnimap.
>
> > (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mail.plumbdesign.com"
> > (nnimap-address "mail.plumbdesign.com")))
> >
> > (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> >         (nnimap "mail.ischo.com"
> >            (nnimap-address "mail.ischo.com")))
>
> gnus-secondary-select-methods is a list of select methods -- one level
> of parens is missing.  Also, you forgot the quote.  Try this:
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnimap "mail.ischo.com"
>          (nnimap-address "mail.ischo.com"))))

Sorry about that.  Actually I had it typed in correctly
at first, but did some rearranging to come up with a simple test-case,
which is what I presented in my email.  When I do have two nnimap
secondary select methods defined properly, I actually get this:

       *: INBOX
       *: INBOX/Condensity
       *: INBOX/Drafts
       *: INBOX/Ring
       *: INBOX/ScrewedUpIMAP
       *: INBOX/Trash
       *: INBOX/Unsent Messages
       *: INBOX/Work
       *: INBOX/infrastructure
       *: nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/Saved Mail
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/Trash
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/family
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/misc friends
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/mom
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/nancy
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/notebook
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/sgigart
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/todd
       *: nnimap+mail.ischo.com:INBOX/vfr

Trying to select anything from the first set of folders gives the
usual "Can't request group INBOX: Group INBOX selected" error; trying
to select anything from the nnimap+mail.ischo.com folders gives:

Dead non-native groups can't be entered

until I do a subscribe on those groups, then I get:

Can't select group

when I try to select them.

> > * I get a two newsgroups listed in the GNUS *Group* buffer:
> >
> >        9: nndoc+gnus-help:gnus-help
> >        *: nndraft:drafts
> > * I don't want to read these (where are my mail server groups?!?!)
> >   so I unsubscribe them
>
> You might wish to have a cursory glance at the help group -- it might
> contain useful information.  Tutorial-type information.

Good idea :)

> And the drafts group is where messages are auto-saved.  Ie, if your
> Emacs ever crashes, you might be able to find a half-composed message
> there.

OK, so I guess I definitely want to keep that.  I would have known this
if I had read the tutorial, I suppose :)

> > Well aside from the fact that my email folder directory (INBOX) is
> > listed as well as the folder names, I can handle this.
>
> INBOX is a group like all other groups.  No?  (Depending on the server
> software, it might be the file /var/spool/mail/jrl.)

I guess that I expect that INBOX, which represents where new mail is
delivered (it's actually a folder ~/Maildir on my system), would be
named something a little nicer by the nnimap client.

> > And, why is the nndoc thing showing up again?  I unsubscribed it!
>
> Well, maybe Gnus is telling you that you should read it...

Gnus seems to be smarter than me :)

> > Oh well, I can chalk all this up to my inexperience with GNUS.
> >
> > * OK, so I want to read my new mail.  I go to the INBOX line and hit
> >   the space bar.  Here is what I get:
> >
> >     Couldn't request group INBOX: Group INBIX selected
> >
> >   Where is my list of messages for my INBOX?!?!
>
> Hm, strange.  Maybe people haven't tried to use nnimap as the primary
> select method?

Actually originally I had a dummy nntp server declared as my
primary select method, and I still had all the same problems with
nnimap as I have outlined above.  So I don't think that's it.

> Can you set debug-on-error to t and post the backtrace?

Sure.  Here is what I get when I try to select my INBOX:

Signaling: (error "Couldn't request group INBOX: Group INBOX selected")
  signal(error ("Couldn't request group INBOX: Group INBOX selected"))
  error("Couldn't request group %s: %s" "INBOX" "Group INBOX selected")
  gnus-select-newsgroup("INBOX" nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("INBOX" nil nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("INBOX" nil nil nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil)
* call-interactively(gnus-group-read-group)

> > So what am I doing wrong?  Here are the contents of my *imap-log*:
> >
> > * OK latitude.plumbdesign.com IMAP4rev1 v12.250 server ready
>
> I vaguely recall problems with IMAP4rev1 which have been fixed
> recently.  Maybe the nnimap that comes with Gnus 5.8.7 is better than
> nnimap-1.131?

Well I have removed the load-path addition of nnimap-0.131, and tried
the above again, and here is the backtrace it produced:

Signaling: (error "Couldn't request group INBOX: Group INBOX selected")
  signal(error ("Couldn't request group INBOX: Group INBOX selected"))
  error("Couldn't request group %s: %s" "INBOX" "Group INBOX selected")
  gnus-select-newsgroup("INBOX" nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("INBOX" nil t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("INBOX" nil t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
* call-interactively(gnus-group-select-group)

The only difference is that 't' in the calls to gnus-summary-read-group-1
and gnus-summary-read-group.

I would love for this to work.  I love emacs dearly and would be absolutely
thrilled to learn GNUS and supercite and all that stuff for handling
email.

Thank you, and best wishes,
Bryan

        p l u m b d e s i g n