Re: Expire and Delete again

    SJ> Jens Krinke <jkrinke@watson.ibm.com> writes:
    >> > Suppose that Gnus would also use the \Deleted flag.  Suppose
    >> further > that you mark as expirable a message, fully aware of
    >> the fact that it > will stick around another week.  Then, you
    >> use a different IMAP client > which issues the EXPUNGE command
    >> -- your message is gone!
    >>
    >> Yes. This is exactly what I want.

    SJ> I think this should be the default too, but if most clients
    SJ> send EXPUNGE (implicit with CLOSE or not) then it wouldn't
    SJ> work.

Hello Simon,

Well, I don't think that is how most other IMAP clients work - at
least the three I'm familiar with.  Outlook, Netscape, and Pine can be
configured to expunge on close or only when the user specifies.
Outlook and Netscape have the ability to see \Deleted messages - in
Outlook they appear in the summary buffer as messages with lines
through them.  These are the only three IMAP clients I have access to
- if other people have other clients that behave differently they
should speak up.

So really, the only disadvantage to using \Deleted marks is if someone
has their *other* IMAP client configured in a braindead way.  It'd be
fairly easy to put a big caveat in the documentation - if they can go
to all the trouble to configure gnus, they can certainly tick the
right tick box in Outlook.

    >> If this is not accievable, can the \Deleted messages be marked
    >> as expirable in Gnus? Or why not make it configurable to use
    >> gnus-expire or \Deleted?

    SJ> Yes, it should be configurable. If there isn't any other
    SJ> problem than that you might lose articles that should stick
    SJ> around some more if you expunge a mailbox with other clients,
    SJ> I even think this should be the default in nnimap.

This sounds great.  Gnus' expiry process is like a more flexible
all-or-nothing expire.

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak                         APL/School of Oceanography,
Doctoral Candidate                  University of Washington