Re: Expire and Delete again

Jens Krinke <j.krinke@gmx.de> writes:

> I still don't understand why nnimap is using its own mark gnus-deleted
> instead of \Deleted. [...]

In Gnus, articles you wish to delete are marked as expirable.  Some
time later (by default when you type `q' in the Summary buffer), you
run expiry.  When expiry is run, Gnus looks at all articles marked as
expirable and deletes them if (and only if) they are `old enough'.
`Old enough' is defined by nnmail-expiry-wait (by default 7 days) in
the simple cases or by nnmail-expiry-wait-function in more complex
cases.

Other IMAP clients mark messages as \Deleted.  Some time later, an
EXPUNGE command is issued, which deletes all messages marked as
\Deleted.  (I hope I got this right, now.)

Do you see the difference?

Suppose that Gnus would also use the \Deleted flag.  Suppose further
that you mark as expirable a message, fully aware of the fact that it
will stick around another week.  Then, you use a different IMAP client
which issues the EXPUNGE command -- your message is gone!

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.