Re: nnimap-expunge-on-close ask

Hi David,

Here is my understanding:

Hitting d simply marks something as "read" (on the imap server, as
"\Seen") - gnus hides these from you unless you specify (display
. all) in the group properties (I do this by going to the group
buffer, selecting the group and typing G c).  I dont' reccomend this
for big groups - I changed my mail reading beahviour somewhat and
started marking things for followup a lot more than I did in Outlook
(! in gnus) so I could still see them.  To temporarily see all items
in a group type C-u M-g.

Hitting E marks something as "expirable" (on the imap server using a
keyword "gnus-expire").  These will be expunged (imap equivalant
"delete" and then "EXPUNGE") after a period of time (I do: (setq
nnmail-expiry-wait 7)) As and asside, I remapped d to E using some
code kai posted:

;; remap d to E
(define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "d" 'gnus-summary-mark-as-expirable)

Hitting B <del> immediately runs "delete" and "expunge".

This suite of behaviours is somewhat different from Outlook or
Netscape.  They mark things as read (\Seen), and keep them visible (or
not, you can specify this).  Deleting items keeps them on the server
(which you can also view or not view), until hitting expunge removes
them all from the server for ever and ever.

I prefer the nnimap/gnus "expunge mail marked for 'expiry' after 7
days" feature.  Of course there are many variations you can take on
this.  For instance, I set this group to "total-expire" - i.e. all
messages marked as read are also marked for expiry.  OTOH, I don't
trust myself to mark as important everything in my normal Inbox, so I
don't set total-expiry in that group.  I have to explicitly "expire"
all messages in that group or else they simply sit around, marked as
read.

Does this clear things up?  Or are they more confusing?

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak                         APL/School of Oceanography,
Doctoral Candidate                  University of Washington