Re: Marking messages as read...

Hi Rupa,

    RS> On further investigation, gnus is doing the *right* thing (why
    RS> am I not surprised) and outlook is not.  It seems that Outlook
    RS> is maintaining the state of read/unread internally somehow and
    RS> not using the \Seen flag.  At least, I can not find a \Seen
    RS> flag on any message that I've read with Outlook and if I mark
    RS> a message as read by right clicking on it the state is not
    RS> pushed back to the imap store.

I just checked - I read a new message in Outlook 98, closed OL98, and
gnus notes it as "read" (actually it gives it the O designation).  So
I'm not sure what the problem is.  Are you closing OL98 before
checking in gnus? Maybe the IMAP server?

    RS> By your description, Outlook *is* working fine.  Are you using
    RS> Outlook Express or the full Outlook 98?

Full Outlook 98

    RS> Same here, I only use outlook when I need to read certain
    RS> types of HTML email (with logs of tables that W3 absolutely
    RS> chokes on).  The problem is that since outlook isn't honoring
    RS> the \Seen flag (at least for me) it becomes very hard to
    RS> locate that one email I want to view.

Hmmm, odd.  I'm not sure how auto-expire deals with these things, but
I'd be shocked if it didn't send a "\Seen" flag to the IMAP server as
well as the "gnus-expire" flag.

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak                         APL/School of Oceanography,
Doctoral Candidate                  University of Washington