nnimap-list-pattern - I can't get it right.

I'm having trouble seeing all my mail folders.  I've moved some
incoming mail to a folder called mail/in/inbox.  I used 'B m' to move
the message.  nnimap created the folder and moved the mail there.

Now, when I hit 'A A' in the groups buffer, to see all available
groups, I do not see the new group.

I suspect the problem is my nnimap-list-pattern, because if I comment
out that setting, I do see the new group.  I can't leave that setting
commented out, however, because when I do it takes an extremely long
time to get my list of groups.  It lists all files I have on the
server.  (My imap server is a machine where I have lots of other
files).

Below are a couple settings I've tried for nnimap-list-pattern.  None
seem to match "mail/in/inbox".  Can anyone help?

                (nnimap-list-pattern "INBOX" "mail/.*" )

                (nnimap-list-pattern "INBOX" "mail/*" "mail/*/*")

Thanks.

-Dave