Re: new version ready for heavy use?

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:
> Osma Ahvenlampi <oa@razorfish.fi> writes:
> > I'm still using nnimap 0.39 since it works sort of predictably and at
> > least doesn't delete mail accidentally.
> I don't think nnimap has ever done that.  Some irritating flag
> problems surely, but not deleting mail..

Yeah, this far it has been safe that way (not having physical access
to the actual mail folder files helps keep it safe), but I'd rather
keep it that way, too. That's why I don't want to risk switching to
something that is really alpha-level.

> >  - moving message to another folder wipes all the flags
> This should be easy to fix, I'll look into it.

That would be great. I often get a message in my INBOX, reply to it
and then move it to another folder, forgetting that doing it that way
will clear the 'replied' flag.

> >  - I can't untick (remove the "important" flag) from a message - next
> >    time I enter the folder, the message is ticked again.
> I've heard this reported with the 0.8x series too but I've never seen
> it myself. You can help me debug this by performing theese steps
> (either with 0.39 or 0.8x):

Okay, I'll try to trace this when it happens again or when I get a
chance to play around.

> >  - "this shouldn't happen" is pretty common
> Work around this by pressing `C' and `O' on a the nnimap server in the
> server buffer (`^' from the group buffer). This is not solved in 0.8x
> but will be once nnimap.el is completely rewritten.

It doesn't always work with multiple nnimap accounts
configured. Specifically, sometimes when I go into the server buffer,
I see two lines for one account in there, one (the first one) of which
is 'denied', and nothing I do can change that, short of quitting and
restarting Gnus.

> The flag stuff are more reliable, and with a recent nnimap and pGnus
> 0.81 I think the flag problem you were seeing will be gone.

Hmm, I'm running Gnus v5.6.44, so I guess starting to upgrade would be
a pretty involved operation if I have to upgrade Gnus as well. I've
done it before, but it takes a while.

> I couldn't live without reliable flags so I would upgrade, but if you
> can live with not being able to un-mark flags you could wait until I
> start to rewrite nnimap.el for real if you want play it safe.

The un-marking, while annoying, doesn't hit me that often (I don't try
to do it so much, once I mark something it pretty much stays that way
for a while), and I sometimes use Netscape Messenger anyway which I
can use to clear the marks, so I can live with it for a while. I guess
I'll wait a bit longer.

> FYI I'm up to my ears in work but I think I'll come around to do some
> real work within the next 2-3 weeks.

Cool, looking forward to seeing the results. And thanks for the great
work until now, it's really appreciated here.

--
osma ahvenlampi  || | |  | ||| | || |  r a z o r f i s h