Re: new version ready for heavy use?

Osma Ahvenlampi <oa@razorfish.fi> writes:

> I'm still using nnimap 0.39 since it works sort of predictably and at
> least doesn't delete mail accidentally.

I don't think nnimap has ever done that.  Some irritating flag
problems surely, but not deleting mail..

>  - moving message to another folder wipes all the flags

This should be easy to fix, I'll look into it.

>  - I can't untick (remove the "important" flag) from a message - next
>    time I enter the folder, the message is ticked again.

I've heard this reported with the 0.8x series too but I've never seen
it myself. You can help me debug this by performing theese steps
(either with 0.39 or 0.8x):

* evaluate:
        (require 'trace)
        (buffer-disable-undo (get-buffer-create "*remove-from-range*"))
        (trace-function-background 'gnus-remove-from-range
                                   "*remove-from-range")
* enter a group with ticked messages
* kill buffers *imap-log*, *nnimap-debug* and *remove-from-range*
* remove the tick flag on a article, quit the folder
* add some newlines to *imap-log*, *nnimap-debug* and *remove-from-range*
* enter the group again (and the article you removed the flag on
  is ticked again, I take it?) and save the three buffers to a file
  and mail them to me.

>  - "this shouldn't happen" is pretty common

Work around this by pressing `C' and `O' on a the nnimap server in the
server buffer (`^' from the group buffer). This is not solved in 0.8x
but will be once nnimap.el is completely rewritten.

> Would you recommend I make the switch? What problems would I run into,
> and what would I gain by it?

The flag stuff are more reliable, and with a recent nnimap and pGnus
0.81 I think the flag problem you were seeing will be gone.

I couldn't live without reliable flags so I would upgrade, but if you
can live with not being able to un-mark flags you could wait until I
start to rewrite nnimap.el for real if you want play it safe.

FYI I'm up to my ears in work but I think I'll come around to do some
real work within the next 2-3 weeks.

-s