Re: problem making new groups?

Vadim Gutnik <gutnik@mtl.mit.edu> writes:

> > Nnimap doesn't create any files/directories, your server does that.
>
> Hmm. Ok, I'll see if I can figure out how to make the server side
> dtrt.

You might like to have a look at Cyrus IMAPD.

http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/cyrus/cyrus

> There's no way to do this at all? There's not even a long,
> time-consuming way to query it? (I'm thinking of the other
> backends. There's an "active" file somewhere that keeps track of
> what groups exist, but there's usually some way to automatically
> regenerate it if it gets corrupted.

Yup, we can do this with a local file that contain the groups that was
subscribed the last time Gnus was started. It would be quite fast, I
think.

I don't think there are other ways (by asking the server) of doing
this, I don't like the idea of storing more junk on local disk.

> BTW, one unrelated note on splitting: any chance we'll get the fancy
> splitting (i.e. with generalized "splits") that the other backends
> use? :)

I think this is quite easy, it's just a matter of ripping out some
code from nnmail.el. Personally I just use regular splitting..

> Here's what I got from imap-log and nnimap-debug when I tried to
> copy a message to group /homes/gutnik/IMAP/example.

I'll have a look.