problem making new groups?

I've very recently started using IMAP, and nnimap (0.38). I patched
gnus (5.6.44) so that nnimap seems to run. I'm using emacs 20.2.1 on a
linux box, talking via ssh to a server that says "* OK localhost
IMAP4rev1 v11.241 server ready", if that's meaningful to anyone.

I have two questions about making new groups- I'm not sure if they're
bugs or features I don't understand:

1) The folders seem to be named relative to my home directory; if I
   try to create a folder named "nnimap:foo" it gets created in my home
   directory, even though I have nnimap-directory set.

2) Even if I use fully qualified names, making directories is
   painful.

      If I specify new folders nnimap-split-rule, the mail seems
   to be split to the right places, but to make the groups show up I
   have to go to the server buffer and find them. I don't have to do
   this with any of the other backends.

     If I try to just move existing mail into new folders, gnus just
   sits. When I interrupt with C-g, I get the message "folder foo does
   not exist, creat it?" I type "yes", and then it sits again. When I
   interrupt that with C-g, I get the message "cannot create folder
   foo". Is this right? Am I doing something wrong?

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and The manual and web pages should
be updated to show where this mailing list is. I didn't notice at
first. :)

	Vadim