Re: problem making new groups?

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> Vadim Gutnik <gutnik@mtl.mit.edu> writes:

> Nnimap doesn't create any files/directories, your server does that.

Hmm. Ok, I'll see if I can figure out how to make the server side dtrt.

> It's a known bug, nnimap doesn't detect if there are new groups on the
> server because it can't tell. I added this to the 'known-bugs' page.

> It's being fixed in the re-written nnimap by using a local file to
> store the name of subscribed mailboxes and compare it to what's on the
> server when it connects.

There's no way to do this at all? There's not even a long,
time-consuming way to query it? (I'm thinking of the other
backends. There's an "active" file somewhere that keeps track of what
groups exist, but there's usually some way to automatically regenerate
it if it gets corrupted.

BTW, one unrelated note on splitting: any chance we'll get the fancy
splitting (i.e. with generalized "splits") that the other backends
use? :)

>>      If I try to just move existing mail into new folders, gnus just
>>    sits. When I interrupt with C-g, I get the message "folder foo does
>>    not exist, creat it?" I type "yes", and then it sits again. When I
>>    interrupt that with C-g, I get the message "cannot create folder
>>    foo". Is this right? Am I doing something wrong?

> No, this looks like a problem. Can you eval `(setq debug-on-quit t)'
> and retry this and mail me the backtrace you get from C-g?

I don't get a backtrace; perhaps the error is being caught in the
code?  Here's what I got from imap-log and nnimap-debug when I tried
to copy a message to group /homes/gutnik/IMAP/example.

		Vadim

A71 CREATE /homes/gutnik/IMAP/example
A71 OK CREATE completed

--------------------------------------
1 -> nnimap-server-opened: server="mtl-server"
1 <- nnimap-server-opened: (open run)
1 -> nnimap-request-group: group="/homes/gutnik/IMAP/example" server="mtl-server" fast=nil
| 2 -> nnimap-request-update-info-internal: group="/homes/gutnik/IMAP/example" info=nil server="mtl-server"
| | 3 -> nnimap-update-alist-soft: key=uidvalidity value=nil alist=nil
| | 3 <- nnimap-update-alist-soft: nil
1 -> nnimap-request-create-group: group="/homes/gutnik/IMAP/example" server="mtl-server" args=nil
| 2 -> nnimap-possibly-change-server: server="mtl-server"
| | 3 -> nnimap-open-server: server="mtl-server" defs=nil
| | | 4 -> nnimap-server-opened: server="mtl-server"
| | | 4 <- nnimap-server-opened: (open run)
| | 3 <- nnimap-open-server: t
| 2 <- nnimap-possibly-change-server: t
1 <- nnimap-request-create-group: t