Re: Respooling Problem

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> > Respooling is a nnmail-specific as far as I can tell. Nnimap isn't a
> > nnmail backend, so it does not support it.
>
> Does it have to be nnmail-specific?  I thought that Gnus documents
> respooling as specifically meant to be able to repool from any
> backend to another backend.  That's why it prompts you for which
> backend you'd like to respool to.

The respooling code looks nnmail specific.

Wouldn't nnimap-respooling be simulated by moving all articles into
your nnimap-split-inbox, mark them unread (then they would be subject
to nnimap-split-articles again)?

>    Respooling is also a handy thing to do if you're switching from one
> mail backend to another.  Just respool all the mail in the old mail groups
> using the new mail backend.

The keyword is "mail backend". Up until now, all mail backends have
been nnmail.

> Wouldn't respooling be a convenient way for people moving to nnimap to
> incorporate their old mail?  I can workaround this by simply using the
> commands to move mail beteen groups.  Still, perhaps this merits entry to to
> the TODO list?

Yup.

I think gnus-summary-respool-* would need a rewrite to be backend
independent.