Re: Can't subscribe to new folders

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> 1) Isn't it reasonable to be automatically subscribed to any folder newly
>    created as a result of an nnimap-split?

Yes. I don't know how you do this though, perhaps through
nnimap-request-newgroups. On the todolist.

> 2) If I know that a folder exists (since I can see it via another IMAP
>    client), I would expect the 'U' command to show me the folder name when I
>    use auto completion.  Instead, it only shows me the list of folders I've
>    alredy subscribed to.  There are no entries in the nnimap-debug buffer
>    that indicate it even tried to query the server.

Did the group contain spaces?  Gnus currently can't deal with
mailboxes containg spaces, so nnimap hides them for Gnus.

Otherwise, using nnimap <= 0.3.20 you should be able to U all groups
that are shown in the server buffer, can you see the group there?  If
not, could you send me the nnimap-request-list part from your
*nnimap-debug*?

> 3) When I get the prompt from the 'U' command, it allows me to type
> in anything and it accepts it. It does not validate the folder name
> until I try to access it for the first time.  This is probably a
> gnus issue not an nnimap issue.

Correct. I think this is intentional too.

> I have left myself with an unsubscribed folder that contains unread messages
> so that I can play with this and help debug it.  Let me know what you'd like
> me to do next.  Again, there are no indications in the nnimap-debug buffer
> that it even attempted to query the IMAP server for the list of known
> folders.

That's strange, if your nnimap server is in gnus-secondary-methods it
should invoke a nnimap-request-list (or nnimap-retrieve-groups in
0.3.21+).

What's your gnus-check-new-newsgroups variable?

/s