Re: Some Comments

Mats Lidell <Mats.Lidell@contactor.se> writes:

> Simon> I've begun experimenting with some ways of doing this
> Simon> -- IMAP lets you search for articles using many search criterias, we
> Simon> could expire on a user definable search criteria (normally 'read AND
> Simon> older than x days' or something).
>
> Why do we need to rely on anything else than what is in gnus
> already. Gnus knows when an article marked for expiery is to be
> deleted so it is a simple matter of deleteing them. I had hoped that
> the expiery stuff wouldn't be a matter for the backends anyway. Maybe
> it is. I need to understand how the expiery works I guess.

No, the expiry stuff is in the backend -- in nnmail you use
nnmail-expiry-wait to specify how old expired articles has to be
before they are actually expired. The backend is handed a list of
articles that should be subject of expiring, how this expiring is done
is up to the backend.

This isn't that hard, we just SEARCH among the articles for articles
older than nnimap-expiry-wait and delete them. This will probably be
in 0.3.14, I need some more testing first.

/s