Re: Some Comments

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> So far it seems to be working well for me.

Good. I've started collecting success-stories. MS Exchange v??/Emacs
v20/Gnus v5.6?

> 1) Performance seems quite slow.  Is this deliberate in that we are
> doing much logging due to the beta nature of the software?  Is this
> because we have not speny anytime doing performance tweaks?

Both. It's extremely slow right now. This is one of the major
longer-term goals but I've not paid any attention to this until now,
the next version is faster.

Perhaps it would be faster if we could byte-compile it too... :-)

I'll remove the tracing/debuging stuff from the distribution when I
see more sucess stories.

> Or is this the nature of the beast?

No, it can be quite fast.  You won't see nnml/nnfolder speed unless
you have 100mbps network and a fast server though.

> 2) Once I log into the IMAP server, it should remember my username
> and password.  I should not have to reenter them everytime (assuming
> more than a few minutes has passed between IMAP accesses).

Yes. The username/password stuff is somewhat messy right now. I think
the buffer in which nnimap stored username/passwords (as buffer-local
variables) were destroyed so it couldn't be re-used but I'll look into
this.

If you can put up with storing your password in plaintext in a file
(it's transfered in plaintext across the net, so as for security goes
you're screwed anyway) you could use a .netrc file.

Or use kerberos.

> 3) I've asked this before but... I should be able to set up split
> rules so that mail pulled from INBOX will be refiled into new IMAP
> folders (and corresponding gnus groups) automatically, right?

Yes.

/s