Re: Server-Based Splitting?

Jochen_Hayek@ACM.org writes:

>     >> I'm not sure if this is even possible but can the split rules specified for
>     >> nnimap somehow be published to the server?
>
>     SJ> This is not easy.
>
>     SJ> [...]
>
> Maybe I'm a bit negative here,
> but wouldn't it make sense to use procmail for UNIX server side
> mail splitting.

It makes great sense. But I still think we need the flexibility of
having splitting in Gnus also.

IMAP isn't tied to the plain-text spool-file system that procmail
assumes, in fact most servers store articles in a database of some
kind. It isn't easy to set up procmail to split mail for these
servers. Therefor, it might be much easier to use the splitting inside
Gnus even though server side splitting is always the prefered way.

The simplest form of server side splitting is of course "plussing",
subscribing to all your mailing list as jas+nnimap@pdc.kth.se and all
mail there would end up automatically in your INBOX.nnimap
folder. Given that your sendmail/imap-server configuration handles
this, but at least the Cyrus server does.

/S