Re: Server-Based Splitting?

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

    SJ> This is not easy.

    SJ> [...]

    JH> Maybe I'm a bit negative here, but wouldn't it make sense to use
    JH> procmail for UNIX server side mail splitting.

I actually did not forget to say *UNIX*.

    SB> Won't help those who eg. use IMAP to read
    SB> from an MS Exchange server,
    SB> and would like to have Gnus filter the email.

As I said, I suggest *one* approach for *one* kind of platform.
And the MS Exchange server has probably quite powerful ways
to do it its own way.

And as Simon said earlier in this thread:

    SJ> But we can write nnimap split functions that uses server-side
    SJ> splitting,
    SJ> but they will be server specific and won't all have the same
    SJ> syntax.

Actually I don't see the point
trying to implement an abstraction / encapsulation layer,
that isn't really an abstraction
-- I mean `abstracting of concrete details of concrete lower layers'.

And because any future IMAP extension in the area of mail splitting
is quite unlikely to match gnus ideas of how those rules
should be specified,
why just not do it as close to the server as possible
and as efficient as possible.

    SJ> This is probably the way to go.

I doubt it.

Just my $0.02 .