Re: Server-Based Splitting?

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> I'm not sure if this is even possible but can the split rules specified for
> nnimap somehow be published to the server?

This is not easy.

First, each different server has it's own protocol of specifying mail
filters, it's not in the IMAP spec. Secondly, I think most server's
mail split protocols are much more limited than Gnus's
regexp-searches, or at least fundamentally different.

But we can write nnimap split functions that uses server-side
splitting, but they will be server specific and won't all have the
same syntax. This is probably the way to go.

Netscape's IMAP client also has this problem, it does it's own
splitting and the splitting rules are stored (I think?) locally in the
users netscape preferences.

> MS Outlook as an IMAP client allows you the ability to create filter
> rules that are server-based, not client-based.

Do you know where I can find documentation?

/S