Re: Problems with 0.3.7

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

>         (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnmbox "ppllc")))
>         (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods

The second setq will override the first.

>               '((nnimap
>                  "truman"
>                  (nnimap-server-address "truman")
>                  (nnimap-list-pattern  '("INBOX")))))

This was broken, I've never used it this way and I've probably broke
it. (It's the nnimap-list-pattern stuff that doesn't work, remove that
line and it works.)

I've changed the instructions in nnimap.el to the following, which is
how I use nnimap right now (so it should work):

;;; This file provides IMAP support for the Emacs news/mailreader Gnus.
;;; To enable this backend you put the following in your .gnus:

;;; (require  'nnimap)

;;; And inside Gnus, use

;;;        ^ (gnus-group-enter-server-mode)
;;;        a (gnus-server-add-server)
;;; Server method:
;;;        nnimap
;;; Server name:
;;;        mail1.andrew.cmu.edu
;;;
;;; Move to the folders you wish to read as groups in Gnus and press u
;;; on each to subscribe you to them in Gnus.

> Gnus selected my unix-based mail correctly but did nothing with regards to
> truman.  I told it to fetch new groups but it said there were none.  What
> should I have done, or what should gnus have done with respect to truman and
> the mail in my INBOX?

You need to go into the server buffer and select mailboxes you want to
subscribe to in Gnus.

I guess this shouldn't work this way but I find it quite easy to use
so I haven't worked on that.

> 2) I went to the server buffer where I already had an open connection to
>    truman.  If I try to enter the server, I get the following backtrace:
>
> Signaling: (wrong-type-argument sequencep quote)
>   ad-Orig-nnimap-request-list("truman")
>   nnimap-request-list("truman")

My guess is that server really wasn't open because of the stuff in
.gnus.

> 3) I tried killing truman from the server buffer.  It tells me that
> it is a readonly server and I can't kill it.  How do I remove truman
> from my server buffer list?

This is probably also related to that.

Try again and report everything. :-)

/S