Re: uidvalidity problems

On 09 Aug 2000, Bryan Ischo wrote:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> On 07 Aug 2000, Bryan Ischo wrote:
>>
>> > I immediately followed your instructions - removing the
>> > uidvalidity clause and leaving essentially an empty pair of
>> > parenthesis - and yes, it did solve the problem.
>>
>> And did you do the clear-data thingy?
>
> Yes.  I followed your instructions exactly.

Ah.  Well.  That should cause Gnus to remove all marks info from
~/.newsrc.eld.  The next time this happens, you could try to check:
do the clear-data boogie, then `s' to save .newsrc.eld, then look in
the file if the marks info is gone from that group.

>> Did the message numbers change after the uidvalidity change?
>>
>> If the message numbers have changed and you forgot the clear-data
>> thingy, you might be in for some problems.  Especially if the
>> article numbers got smaller.  Then Gnus might have remembered that
>> you have already seen message number 23, and when there is a _new_
>> number 23, Gnus won't show you.
>
> Interesting that you point this out.  I have had this issue in other
> folders, for which uidvalidity issues were never reported, in which
> some messages which are in my mailbox are not shown.

If this is really the problem, `C-u RET' should show the invisible
messages (with `O' in front of them).

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.