Re: Expiry problems...

Jens Krinke <j.krinke@gmx.de> writes:

>  Kai> I don't understand what you are saying, but Simon says that nnimap
>  Kai> _never_ shows articles with the \Deleted flag.  I'm not sure if there
>  Kai> is a conflict...
>
> This must have changed. Until the latest version, nnimap is not
> showing the \Deleted flag, but the article with the rest of the
> flags.  Let me retry:
>
> 2. After a while the daemon is expiring (in Gnus sense) the articles
>    and they get marked as \Deleted (on the server).  Normally, nnimap
>    is expunging-on-close: The imap-server is really delting the
>    \Deleted articles of the group which you leave.  However, the
>    daemon is not expunging the articles and they are still on the
>    server marked as \Deleted.  Now, if you reenter the group, Gnus and
>    nnimap are not obeying the \Deleted mark and only showing the \Seen
>    mark ('O'). The expirable mark ('E', gnus-deleted) has been
>    deleted, as the daemon has deleted but not expunged the article.
>
> Is this more clear?

Yup, but I think it's wrong. :-)     When entering a mailbox,
Gnus/nnimap never view articles that are \Deleted (modulo the NOV
cache bug which might make it seem that way, but that is easily
detected by selecting the article).

The expunge-situation is messy. I still think we should make the
IMAP-\Deleted == Gnus-expired change we've been discussing several
times in the past, that would make it possible to display \Deleted
articles in Gnus, which actually is part of the IMAP standard and hard
to ignore. Whenever I get around of doing this, I'll leave the default
to the current behaviour until I've convinced everyone it's a good
idea. :-)