Re: nnimap article editing revisited

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE writes:

>   > Then one would have to quit and re-enter a summary folder after
>   > editing a article to be able to view the article again.
>
> Well, `G DEL' also makes it very clear that the article was deleted,
> so if gnus-article-edit-done would do that, too, this wouldn't be too
> much of a problem.
>
> Users will have to type M-g after editing an article, though.
>
> It is true that this is inconvenient, but still better than not being
> able to edit articles at all, don't you think?

Yup, but it breaks the backend specification --
nnimap-request-replace-article must replace a article with another
one. The editing code in Gnus relies on this fact -- it requests the
article it just edited to display it. That won't work if we delete
this article and create a new one.

Unless Gnus changes I don't think we can or even should try to support
article editing since we can't implement it correctly.

Gnus' article editing command could fallback to fetch + delete +
insert if the backend doesn't support article editing, this would make
it possible simulate editing of a article.

-s