Re: How's the offline support?

>>>>> On 09 Aug 1998 16:49:54 +0200, Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> said:

Simon> I'm sorry, I haven't used the Agent stuff in Gnus at all. I'm
Simon> not even familiar with how it works.

No problem.  (It's really cool if you want to check it out.  Even with
a local server, it speeds up news reading quite a bit when you pop in
and out of newsgroups).

Simon> All I can say is that nnimap tries to do everything the Gnus
Simon> manual requires a backend to do, if that's not enough for the
Simon> Agent stuff to work it probably won't work.

Well, I'm not sure if the agent was meant to handle some of the things
you'd need to get nnimap to work completely offline.

Simon> I've now looked into this some more, and there are one major issue:

Simon> * Flags

Simon> All articles that the Agent fetches will be marked as read on
Simon> the IMAP server. If you intend to read all downloaded articles,
Simon> or doesn't care about the SEEN flags on the ones you don't, you
Simon> can try the Agent stuff right now.

Right.  This was actually the nature of my original question.  If you
mark something as READ/SEEN (by reading it in gnus), when does the
update mark get sent to the imap server?  if its immediately, it
doesn't work (obviously) when you're "offline".  If it stores them all
and sends the commands later, it would.

Anyway, thanks for the comments...  Wish I had the time to help you
out more myself...  (You wouldn't believe how many Gnus projects I've
ended up just forgetting about in the last year)

--
"Ninjas aren't dangerous.  They're more afraid of you than you are of them."