Re: You've been busy... where do we stand?

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> writes:

> Hmmm.  All my mail will be going through Exchange.  So I can't
> distinguish between 'primary' and 'other' mail.  It's all or
> nothing.  Still, since IMAP4 leaves the mail on the server, if
> nnimap does not read it for me well, I should always be able to fire
> up Outlook and still read it.

Sure.

You don't have to change anything to switch from POP to IMAP?  In that
case, you don't lose anything by testing nnimap now, just mark all
articles you read with IMAP as unread if you want them to get POPed
just like normal.

(unless MS Exchange does something strange, of course)

> With server-side splitting, I would subscribe to each of the
> server-created mailboxes in much the same way that I subscribe to
> newsgroups, correct?

Yes. IMAP is read-write NNTP designed for mail, sort of.

> Gnus would see each pre-created mailbox and simply give me access to
> each subscribed group.

Gnus sees all mailboxes, and you subscribe to the one's that are
interesting. Some servers carry mailing lists to save bandwidth (so
that several users doesn't have to subscribe to the same mailing
list). I'm reading a couple of mailing lists this way now, I also get
a copy of all mail to my IMAP INBOX (unsplitted..) just for fun. I
POP3 my main mail.

(There is confusion here, a Gnus "subscribe" is not the same as a IMAP
"subscribe". Nnimap don't support IMAP subscribing yet, I'm not sure
it's a applicable concept.)

> Remember, I don't have two mail locations now.  All mail is now going to my
> Exchange Server INBOX.  I am currently using POP3 to get it and Gnus is quite
> happy.  I would like to try it with IMAP4, use Gnus splitting, and not invest
> alot of time in making Outlook work well for me with server-side
> rules.

Does MS Exchange Server support server side splitting?  Do you know if
it uses some standard language (like "Sieve") for setting theese
rules?  How do Outlook tell the server to set theese rules?

> Is this a stupid way to go?

Server side splitting is much more efficient.

But I see your point, using Outlook to set the split rules is probably
not fun. In your case, I would prefer client side splitting.

>     Simon> When I get splitting to work, I'll switch.
>
> You also prefer to not use server-side splitting?

I haven't seen flexible server side splitting yet, so I prefer to have
it done in Gnus.

I'll have a look at the nnmail splitting stuff tonight.

/S