Re: You've been busy... where do we stand?

    >> Now...  where do we stand?  Can I already use nnimap as my
    >> gnus-select-method and have it get processed by my nnmail-split-methods?

    Simon> No. Splitting is not done yet.

    Simon> If your server has server-side splitting that would be the way to
    Simon> go, and you could use IMAP for your primary mail (unless you aren't
    Simon> afraid of running into evil bugs, of course).

Hmmm.  All my mail will be going through Exchange.  So I can't distinguish
between 'primary' and 'other' mail.  It's all or nothing.  Still, since IMAP4
leaves the mail on the server, if nnimap does not read it for me well, I should
always be able to fire up Outlook and still read it.

    Simon> The reason for splitting not working yet is that IMAP isn't a
    Simon> nnmail-like backend, but instead NNTP-like only read/write. So we
    Simon> have to re-write the splitting part, hopefully we can re-use the
    Simon> nnmail splitting stuff as much as possible.

    Simon> In the future, I think all IMAP servers will have server side
    Simon> splitting and this would be the prefeered way. Client side splitting
    Simon> would be very nice though.

With server-side splitting, I would subscribe to each of the server-created
mailboxes in much the same way that I subscribe to newsgroups, correct?  Gnus
would see each pre-created mailbox and simply give me access to each subscribed
group.  If this is correct, maybe I _should_ invest the time in creating the
server-side rules to split my mail and then subscribe to each mailbox as
appropriate.

    Simon> Please try it out, and subscribe to your INBOX but don't use IMAP
    Simon> for your primary mail before splitting is done.  I don't think we
    Simon> have tried nnimap against MS servers so that would be interesting.

    Simon> You could try .forwarding a copy of all your mail to your IMAP
    Simon> server to see if it manages and if you can read it in Gnus. I don't
    Simon> know if it was me, but when I did this the sendmail receiving mail
    Simon> crashed and was down for some days...

Remember, I don't have two mail locations now.  All mail is now going to my
Exchange Server INBOX.  I am currently using POP3 to get it and Gnus is quite
happy.  I would like to try it with IMAP4, use Gnus splitting, and not invest
alot of time in making Outlook work well for me with server-side rules.  Is
this a stupid way to go?

    Simon> When I get splitting to work, I'll switch.

You also prefer to not use server-side splitting?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 946-0300
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza II                           Beeper: (800) 505-2795
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  E-mail: colman@ppllc.com
                                       E-mail: jcolman@jnc.com
                                          web: http://www.ppllc.com