Newbie questions

Hey ho.

I have some simple questions regarding the installation of nnimap.

First, when I try to compile nnimap, I get the following errors:
bash# make GNUSDIR=/usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.1.4/xemacs-packages/lisp/gnus/
EMACS=xemacs
xemacs -batch -q -no-site-file -no-init-file -eval '(if (not (string-match
"/usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.1.4/xemacs-packages/lisp/gnus/" "")) (setq
load-path (cons "/usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.1.4/xemacs-packages/lisp/gnus/"
load-path)))' -l ssl.elc -l base64 -l md5 -l rfc2104.elc -l utf7.elc -f
batch-byte-compile imap.el
xemacs exiting.Cannot open load file: md5
make: *** [imap.elc] Error 255

I can't find md5 in any apparently relevant directory -- though I have
md5.c in the xemacs source directory tree.  Do I need to recompile with
md5 support or something?  What is md5?

Also, my school has kerberos authentication, but I haven't bothered to
install it yet.  Should I do that first?  If so, where should I look for a
primer?

Second, what is the function of GNUSDIR?  I assume that it should point to
the existing distribution of gnus?  That's what I set it too, although the
example shows it set to a subdirectory of $HOME.

I want to install nnimap for all users, also, so I assumed that my setting
is the proper setting for this.  Is this just wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Jesse