Re: Newbie questions

Jesse F. Hughes <jesse@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> First, when I try to compile nnimap, I get the following errors:
> bash# make GNUSDIR=/usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.1.4/xemacs-packages/lisp/gnus/
> EMACS=xemacs
> xemacs -batch -q -no-site-file -no-init-file -eval '(if (not (string-match
> "/usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.1.4/xemacs-packages/lisp/gnus/" "")) (setq
> load-path (cons "/usr/local/lib/xemacs-21.1.4/xemacs-packages/lisp/gnus/"
> load-path)))' -l ssl.elc -l base64 -l md5 -l rfc2104.elc -l utf7.elc -f
> batch-byte-compile imap.el
> xemacs exiting.Cannot open load file: md5
> make: *** [imap.elc] Error 255

You need Pterodactyl Gnus to use nnimap, if you point GNUSDIR to
pGnus's directory it should work (pgnus contains md5.el).

> Also, my school has kerberos authentication, but I haven't bothered to
> install it yet.  Should I do that first?  If so, where should I look for a
> primer?

If you have kerberos clients installed (ie `kauth' or `kinit') you
only need `imtest' which comes with the Cyrus IMAPD server. I'd
recomend getting Cyrus 1.5 since `imtest' in Cyrus 1.6 require you to
install Cyrus SASL.

> Second, what is the function of GNUSDIR?  I assume that it should point to
> the existing distribution of gnus?  That's what I set it too, although the
> example shows it set to a subdirectory of $HOME.

GNUSDIR makes nnimap find libraries shipped with pGnus that nnimap
require. Normally pGnus isn't installed in the default search path, so
there need to be a way of specifying it manually. Hence GNUSDIR.

pGnus is most often installed in your home directory, but there's
nothing forcing you to do so.