Re: Mark as unread

Simon> Simon Josefsson <URL:mailto:jas@pdc.kth.se>

0> In article <ilun1ubusx4.fsf@badis.pdc.kth.se>, Simon wrote:

Simon> Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@streapadair.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

>> Try this little experiment:
>>
>> * Read an IMAP group (with nnimap, or any other client)
>> * In a non-Gnus client, mark an article as unread
>> * In Gnus's *Group* buffer, press 'g'
>> * Note that the group with an unread article doesn't appear in Gnus
>>   as unread.
>>
>> Doing this the other way around works fine - if I mark an article
>> unread using Gnus, it immediately appears as an unread article in
>> the other client.

Simon> The unread count in group buffers is an estimate (this is even
Simon> documented).  It will not be correct in the case you outline.
Simon> When you enter the group (or even press M-g on the group)
Simon> accurate data is fetched from the server and the unread count
Simon> is updated.

That happens; I slightly misunderstood the situation when I wrote my
original.  The reason I don't see the article as readable is that it's
given the 'M' mark (a Gnus duplicate).  Is this what should happen?  Is
there a way around it?  It's certainly not the behaviour I would expect
(I'd expect it to be equivalent to `gnus-summary-clear-mark-forward' on
the article in Gnus).