Re: nnimap questions

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> Michael Hirsch <hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:
>
> > > You can use `nnimap-list-pattern' to reduce the number of mailboxes to
> > > list, but you'd need another imap client to find out which mailboxes
> > > you aren't interested in.
> >
> > My problem is that I have lots of output folders, but few incoming
> > folders.  It seems that nnimap wont let me copy to a folder without
> > subscribing to it--or at least somehow informing it that it exists in
> > the server buffer.  One client I have, ML, lets my fype in a folder
> > name and it just moves it to that folder without any fuss, so I know
> > it is possible.  nnimap barfs if I try to copy to a folder it has
> > never heard of which already exists.
>
> "barf" as in a elisp error?  I think you should be able to copy
> articles into groups that doesn't exist, Gnus will ask you if you want
> to create it and nnimap silently return t if a mailbox already exist.

"barf" as in rejects the request.  It tries to create a new folder
gives an error if the folder already exists.

> In some prompts you can actually type in a name you know exist without
> being tab completed, but then there's always the feeling one is doing
> something one shouldn't.

That's exactly what I've tried to do.  Maybe it is a problem with the
response the server gives?  I don't know the name of the server, but
I think it is the standard Solaris server.  How can I help debug this?

> This is something that need plenty work, Gnus has traditionally had
> total control of everything, and now the IMAP server has taken over
> some of that control, so Gnus need to query the backend more than
> before. Theese features will evolve over time, there isn't a quick
> solution to it.

I appreciate that.  I wish my elisp were more fluent so I could help
code instead of just complaining.  I'm now trying to use nnimap as
much as possible and it's working pretty well.
--
--Michael