Re: nnimap questions

Michael Hirsch <hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:

> > You can use `nnimap-list-pattern' to reduce the number of mailboxes to
> > list, but you'd need another imap client to find out which mailboxes
> > you aren't interested in.
>
> My problem is that I have lots of output folders, but few incoming
> folders.  It seems that nnimap wont let me copy to a folder without
> subscribing to it--or at least somehow informing it that it exists in
> the server buffer.  One client I have, ML, lets my fype in a folder
> name and it just moves it to that folder without any fuss, so I know
> it is possible.  nnimap barfs if I try to copy to a folder it has
> never heard of which already exists.

"barf" as in a elisp error?  I think you should be able to copy
articles into groups that doesn't exist, Gnus will ask you if you want
to create it and nnimap silently return t if a mailbox already exist.

In some prompts you can actually type in a name you know exist without
being tab completed, but then there's always the feeling one is doing
something one shouldn't.

This is something that need plenty work, Gnus has traditionally had
total control of everything, and now the IMAP server has taken over
some of that control, so Gnus need to query the backend more than
before. Theese features will evolve over time, there isn't a quick
solution to it.