Re: nnimap questions

Michael Hirsch <hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:

> The read flag used by nnimap is the deleted flag on my imap server,

Hm, no. Nnimap set seen flags on all read messages, like other imap
clients. If auto-expiring is turned on, and if the server permits it,
gnus also set the "gnus-expired" flag on read messages.

The gnus-expired flag is later search for to find messages which
should be expired.

> which interacts badly with my other imap clients.

If articles are deleted if you don't tick them, expiring is somehow
turned on.

> Using the "ticked when read" method makes the other mail clients see
> the messages as flagged, which is not so bad.

It might have been discussed before, but if you don't enable expiring
and put (display . all) in the group/topic parameters for your mail
group(s), shouldn't that achieve roughly the same thing?

Using your (Kai's) scheme, you lose the concept of ticking important
articles, something I find very useful.

> Thanks a bunch, this is what I was looking for.  I suggest putting
> Kai's response in the documentation.

The nnimap documentation should be migrated into the Gnus manual, I
hope, so I'll be rewriting it as a (sub-) chapter soon. I feel things
like this doesn't belong in the manual, and it's not quite a FAQ
either.

A webpage (or something) with "Configuring Gnus" would be quite useful
to gather all wisdom scathered around on mailing lists and
newsgroups. Anyone with spare time? :-)