Re: nnimap questions

Michael Hirsch <hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:

> I have another question.  When in the summary buffer, I would like 'd'
> to delete the message.

'd' mark messages as read, it doesn't delete them.

You can change the key binding to make 'd' delete articles, but IMHO
it's better to learn to use 'E' (see below) or 'B DEL' for that.

> It currently marks it with a little r (read), which does get
> expunged.

Then you definitely have total-expiring turned on. Read articles are
never deleted automatically, unless total-expiring is on.

> I can delete messages with 'B DEL' which then prompts me about
> whether I want it, or not.  (And it still doesn't mark it as deleted
> on the server.)

'B DEL' set the \Deleted mark on articles, so it should be marked as
deleted on the server.

The article is physically removed when you exit the group, unless
you've fiddled with `nnimap-expunge-on-close' then you can use 'G x'
from the group buffer to manually expunge all articles marked as
\Deleted in the group.

Try this for me, enter a group, kill the *imap-log* and *nnimap-debug*
buffers, then delete a article with 'B DEL' and quit the group. Mail
me the contents of both debug buffers to me and I'll have a look, you
might found a bug.

> Is there a way to make the expunge on exit delete the messages I've
> marked with 'd'?  Or a way to make 'B DEL' not prompt me (and I could
> bind it to 'd')?

Looks as if you could use `E' to mark articles as expired instead, and
set `nnmail-expiry-wait' (as a group parameter, not globally) to
'immediate.

NB be sure not to have total-expire or auto-expire turned on, if they
are articles will dissapear automatically without having to press E on
them.