Re: nnimap questions

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kaiwrote:
> Michael Hirsch <hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:
>
> > [...]  The read flag used by nnimap is the deleted flag on my imap
> > server, which interacts badly with my other imap clients.  Using the
> > "ticked when read" method makes the other mail clients see the
> > messages as flagged, which is not so bad.
>
> Erm...  Do you use total-expire?  Well, don't use total-expire if you
> don't want its side effects.  Normally, nnimap uses a special
> expirable mark which isn't used by any other IMAP client, and uses the
> deleted flag only for actually deleting expirable articles.
>
> Total-expire means that Gnus considers all messages marked as read to
> be expirable (that is, marked for deletion after 7 days).

No, I don't use total-expire, at least I don't use it deliberately.  Here's my
.gnus file (I've also set my display variable to "all" in the gnus
customization buffer).  BTW, can anyone tell me the point of the command
(nnfolder "") in my file.  I copied it from the manual, but the only affect I
can see is to make gnus issue an error message.  :(

(require 'nnimap)

(setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 'some)

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '((nnfolder "")
	(nnimap "cssun"
		(nnimap-address "cssun.mathcs.emory.edu")
		(nnimap-list-method ("LSUB"))
		(nnimap-expunge-on-close ("ask"))
		(nnimap-list-pattern ("~/From/RMAIL" "~/From/linux-activists"
"From/*"))
		)))

;Try this to have the mail be more like a mail reader.  This marks
;read articles with a tick instead of being deleted.

(defun tc-gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-ticked ()
  "Intended to be used by `gnus-summary-mark-article-hook'."
  (when (memq gnus-current-article gnus-newsgroup-unreads)
    (gnus-summary-mark-article gnus-current-article
			       gnus-ticked-mark)))
(setq gnus-mark-article-hook 'tc-gnus-summary-mark-unread-as-ticked)