Re: Marking with E is slow

Mats Lidell <Mats.Lidell@contactor.se> writes:

> I have notised that marking with E has become slow. I guess that is
> because each mark is transmitted to the server. Could this be speeded
> up. Like transfering this to the server only once at exit of the
> folder or something?

IMHO this is somewhat against the concurrent idea of IMAP, but we
could use timers to make sure flags are updated at least every X
seconds or something.

There will be a new backend function for setting marks, and it will
accept a range of articles to mark -- this will speed up some things
conciderably.

Also, right now nnimap waits for completion of most commands it sends
to the server -- this is not at all necessery, for example the flag
setting can be done by just sending the command to the server and then
let Gnus continue. The current behaviour is the lazy behaviour, error
handling is much easier in a serialized, non-concurrent world, but the
IMAP library we use handles multiple outstanding commands (I think).

Btw, "catchup" probably doesn't work -- use `10000 E' or something
instead. This will be fixed by the new flag setting stuff.

/s