"Selecting deleted or non-existent buffer" on JY

Platform: XEmacs 20.4, linux, Gnus v5.8.8 (CVS checkout from July 26 2000)

When I do a J Y after going online to update my four nnimap servers,
it ends with a beep and the message
	Selecting deleted or non-existent buffer
in the mini-buffer.

The trace from C-h l for the J Y command is here:

Selecting deleted or non-existent buffer
Waiting for response from tyr.metis.no...done
Opening nnimap server on tyr...
Wrote /home/sb/News/agent/nnimap/doohan/agent.lib/flags
nnimap: Setting marks in INBOX.dod...done
nnimap: Setting marks in INBOX.dod...
nnimap: Setting marks in INBOX.dod...done
nnimap: Setting marks in INBOX.dod...
Waiting for response from doohan.bang.priv.no...done
Opening nnimap server on doohan...
Wrote /home/sb/News/agent/nnimap/apollo/agent.lib/flags
Waiting for response from apollo.computas.no...done
Opening nnimap server on apollo...
Wrote /home/sb/News/agent/nnimap/neptun/agent.lib/flags
Waiting for response from neptun.computas.no...done
Opening nnimap server on neptun...

The order in which the nnimap servers appear in
gnus-secondary-select-methods, is:
	tyr (work)
	doohan (home)
	neptun (work)
	apollo (work)
(they seem to be updated in the opposite order).

neptun and apollo are exchange servers, doohan is a linux box running
cyrus, and tyr is a SPARC Solaris 2.5 box, running (a fairly old
version of) UoW imapd.

Here's the gnus-secondary-select-method for tyr (which seems to be the
offender):

	(nnimap "tyr"
		(nnimap-address "tyr.metis.no")
		(nnimap-list-pattern
		 ("INBOX"

- Steinar (once I've started reporting stuff, it seems I can't
           stop...;-) )