Re: authentication in gnus vs. pine

John Palmieri wrote :

> When I run pine, it accesses my IMAP server automatically; why do I
> need to tell gnus a username and password?  (Or: how should I
> configure gnus and nnimap so that I don't need to give it a password
> or have a .authinfo file or anything?)

The UW IMAP server (I assume that's the one you're using, given your
email address :) has some kinda nifty peculiarities in that if you're
on the same machine you can just run imapd (as yourself) and talk imap
to it - I don't know if Pine does /that/ but I know that by default it
will try doing a "rsh <mailserver> imapd" to try and run the imap
server without needing to authenticate.

nnimap doesn't support that behaviour.

(Of course, it might also be other local configuration too)

--
Andrew J Cosgriff <ajc@bing.wattle.id.au> exterminate all rational thought !
                  pyramid steroids codependency fun neocortex