Re: Group foo not uidvalid?

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> This group was newly created.  Hm.  So that means that nnimap fetched
> some uidvalidity value but the server changed it some time after that?
> And what does that tell me?

That the server doesn't regard the group to be the same group as the
last time nnimap looked at it.

This is mainly for offline usage, where you wouldn't want to upload
all flag changes for a old group to a new group that happened to have
the same name.

Nnimap should discard it's cache for the group, and tell gnus to
remove all flag information about the group. The last part is
"impossible" given how the backend interface works today.

I think Cyrus IMAPD change the UIDVALIDTY of groups when you rename
them. (In fact, I think Cyrus uses the ctime of the directory name as
UIDVALIDTY.)

> Well, anyway, I'll just edit the group parameters if this ever happens
> again.  (This was the first time.)

Yup. I don't think nnimap should do this by itself though, because
real bad stuff could happen then. OTOH something better than just a
error message should happen. Maybe a query if the user whish to
proceed with the new uidvalidity?