mailbox prefixes or what do cyrus users do?

I just started using a cyrus imap server, and I'm wrestling with the
necessity of using `INBOX.' as the prefix for all my groups.  While
this clearly makes a lot of sense from the point of view of making
shared imap folders and such, it clearly breaks any (in retrospect,
wrong) attempts to make uniform naming conventions for mailboxes
across multiple backends (I was thinking about the promised land of
splitting across backends).

So what do you guys do?

Would it be possible to have a feature that would perform some
mailbox-name transformations?  I'd really like something that would
allow me to drop the INBOX. in my mailboxes, (map INBOX..* to \1).
This suggestion is bad as it stands.  Does anyone have a better idea?

Soren