startup

This is confusing me.  I'm trying to minimize the hit on our IMAP
server when I start up gnus/nnimap.  I put the following in my gnus
setup:

    (setq gnus-activate-level 3)

Then I went and set the level to 4 (S l 4) of all subscribed IMAP
folders that do not directly receive new mail.  With these folders,
I don't need to know how many read/unread messages they have every
time I start up.  Okay, so I figured I was all set.

Then, when I restarted gnus, I watched things on the IMAP server
(Cyrus).  Sure enough, there's an open for every single folder that
I'm subscribed to, even those that I explicitly set to be at level
4.  Yet, when gnus finally comes up, there's a star (*) before each
of these groups that are set to level 4.

This doesn't make sense.  Why are these folders being opened when
the new mail count for these folders is not provided?

Also, on a similar note, if I'm stuck on a slow connection, start up
is painfully slow when it hits the part 'Listing subscribed
mailboxes on ....'  Is there some way this could be minimized?
Seems like it is doing the equivalent of `A A', but at each start
up.

Amos

P.S. If I sound a bit agitated, I don't mean to be.  Part of it is
because I'd really like to figure out a way to get around these
startup issues because I'm beginning to find nnimap *really* useful
and convenient.  The other part is because, at the time of this
writing, our connection to the net is proving to be terribly
unreliable and I'm about to pop.  (IMAP is so much better.  ;-)