Re: gnus-extra-headers and nnimap

Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> writes:

> Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:
>
> > Now, with nnimap, I get a strange effect: if I enter a group and it
> > contains messages from me, I see the From header in the summary
> > buffer.
>
> I guess nntp behaves the same?  That's the intention, right now
> anyway.
>
> > If, however, the summary buffer contains a followup to one of my
> > messages, and I hit ^ to fetch my message, then *that* line shows
> > "->" and the To header in the summary.
>
> Yes. Gnus will then fetch the header by retrieving the RFC822 header
> (instead of the NOV line), and converting that into a new summary line
> respecting the extra-header stuff. I suspect you see the same thing
> with nntp.

Well, but with nntp there is an efficiency problem: when generating
the summary buffer, Gnus doesn't know more than what's in the NOV
file.

But it seemed to me that nnimap is specifying the headers to retrieve
anyway, so it might as well retrieve those from nnmail-extra-headers,
too, and put the result in the NOV line before handing it to Gnus or
something.  Would that be workable?

I might well be misunderstanding something, here.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.