Re: gnus-extra-headers and nnimap

Kai Großjohann <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> writes:

> Now, with nnimap, I get a strange effect: if I enter a group and it
> contains messages from me, I see the From header in the summary
> buffer.

I guess nntp behaves the same?  That's the intention, right now
anyway.

> If, however, the summary buffer contains a followup to one of my
> messages, and I hit ^ to fetch my message, then *that* line shows
> "->" and the To header in the summary.

Yes. Gnus will then fetch the header by retrieving the RFC822 header
(instead of the NOV line), and converting that into a new summary line
respecting the extra-header stuff. I suspect you see the same thing
with nntp.

> FWIW, cached articles and those fetched with ^ show "0b" in the size
> field where...

Yes, that's becuase the RFC822 header don't include a "Chars: 4711"
line.

> Has anyone seen this?  Is it because of nnimap or because of pgnus
> 0.95?

Nnimap should probably support the NOV extra-header stuff. Nnimap
should probably also add "Lines:" and "Chars:" headers to articles
before handing them of to Gnus, altough I don't quite like that
(articles shouldn't be modified once received IMHO).

Theese things arise from the fact that Gnus has a RFC822-header ->
NOV-lines converter, and nnimap has a some-imap-stuff -> NOV converter
and they don't behave exactly the same. Nnimap could fetch the entire
header and use the Gnus converter (it used to do this), but that is
slow when using a dialup connection and quite un-imapish.