Re: showing read messages

Michael Hirsch <hirsch@mathcs.emory.edu> writes:

> One thing I'd like to have that I bet is available is a better way to
> view old messages.  When I start up my mail I'd like to see all the
> new messages (of course) but also the last few messages that are in my
> mailbox.

Enter the group with C-u SPC to view old message. You can limit the
number of old messages you want to see by using C-u 200 SPC or
something.

> Currently, it doesn't seem to do this.  I get only the new ones and
> any that I explicitly ticked.  I'd like to see everything that is
> there.  Even better would be to only load enough messages to fill the
> summary window.  If I want more previous ones it should load them on
> demand.

This would be ideal, yes, but it's not possible right now. Gnus
fetches all headers before displaying them. There are functions for
adding articles to a summary buffer after it's generated so it's
doable but I haven't looked at how hard it would be.