Re: new mail check

Amos <amos@utdallas.edu> writes:

> Basically, I'm wondering if the new mail check needs some
> refinement.

It does. One thing, it should use STATUS instead of SELECTing every
mailbox to speed things up.

> realized that subscribing all my folders had an undesirable effect
> -- the new mail check took for ever!

I assume you didn't mean that litterally?

> However, after entering that folder I got an error.  Sure enough,
> when I checked the *imap-log* buffer I saw that it blew up because
> it tried to create a folder that already existed. Hmmm...

Thanks, fixed in 0.98.

> Yes, I fiddled with the possible settings for
> nnimap-group-list-speed ('slow, 'fast, 'medium), however I prefer to
> keep that at 'slow -- it is indeed helpful to know if I've really
> got new mail in an important folder.

Yup. This variable should probably go away, I think. The fast and
medium methods are broken. Only problem is that the slow method is too
slow, of course...

> Finally, my suggestion/question is this: would it be possible to
> have nnimap only check for new mail in those folders that are indeed
> subscribed to, ignoring those that are unsubscribed but not killed?

This is outside of nnimap's control, it's a Gnus thing. Group levels,
as other have suggested, does what you want, I think.