Re: ACAP?

OA> ACAP seems to have been bypassed by LDAP for this use - most
OA> Netscape software, for example, is capable of storing their
OA> settings information on an LDAP server instead.

Yes, but I think that was primarily because the ACAP RFCs hadn't
been settled yet.  The problem with LDAP is that it typically is
best suited for searching, not large amounts of updating.  ACAP is
specifically designed for all kinds of applications to
store/retrieve their configurations.

Having used two IMSP (soon to be ACAP) clients for a while now, I
can tell you that there is a lot of writing going on.  Some of these
app settings can be rather large, looking very much like a complete
dump of X resources.  It would seem like LDAP would be rather poorly
suited for this kind of chatter.  ACAP also has a more structured
arrangment for this particular kind of data, something lacking with
LDAP.

Also, as far as I know, Netscape (now AOL), was the only one to use
LDAP in this manner.  I don't see vendors such as Execmail and
Cyrusoft dropping ACAP in favor for LDAP.  Qualcomm is doing both
LDAP and ACAP (http://www.eudora.com/betas/eims22.html).  They're
using LDAP for directory searches and ACAP for client configuration.

amos