Reactionary Emacs user

Hi!

I've just installed Gnus 5.6.45 (turned out I was using 5.5) and
nnimap 0.83, and run this in a FSF Emacs 19.34.  I get a nagging
feeling that nnimap isn't supposed to be running in a 19.34 because
of these problems:

* compiling has to be done in a Emacs with all my load-paths (to find
correct Gnus and custom)

* a few modifications to the source (essentially: moving the
compitability macro definitions in imap.el to the top of the file)

* a missing function: functionp.

This seems like an odd function to be missing...  Anyway, I hacked
together my own little functionp:

(defun functionp (obj)
  "T if OBJ is a function."
  (or (and (symbolp obj) (fboundp obj))
      (byte-code-function-p obj)
      (and (listp obj)
	   (memq (car obj) '(lambda macro)))))

Am I just a fossile, refusing to upgrade (?) to Emacs 20.x or XEmacs?

(I'm also trying to figure out how to actually delete mails, but I'll
bang my head against the screen some more before I ask any stupid
questions.)

/petli