Re: topics & tomorrow

>Vadim Gutnik <gutnik@mtl.mit.edu> writes:
>We already use the server name for the actual server name. We could
>extend it with something like `server^reference, a group would then
>look like:
>
>nnimap+mail^~/Imap/:whatever
>
>This isn't a great idea IMO.

Especially since I still want to be able to difference between different
servers on the same host.

I use port-forwarding to expose several IMAP servers on localhost. I need
gnus to think that

   localhost:2143
   localhost:3143
   localhost:4143

are all different hosts.

I'd prefer that servers could be given a unique name by configuration, and
that THAT name be used for all internal references. In the same light, maybe
allow a unique name to be defined for server^reference if needed.

>I think we should focus on making existing gnus code encode (RFC2152?)
>the group name if it can't be used directly.
>
>If there are other alternatives, I'm all ears.

By the way, I'd like to reiterate my request for support for >28bit integer
message numbers, as the Imail IMAP server uses them. Since we don't really
need to treat message ID's as numbers, I think it means nasty recoding.